- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/ gas 7 and put chunked sweet potatoes and chunked carrots into a large roasting tin (or 2!), and drizzle with olive oil and plenty of seasoning.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 25-30 mins or until caramelised and tender
- Meanwhile, put the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large deep saucepan and fry finely chopped onions and garlic over a medium-low heat for about 10 mins until softened.
- Add roasted veg to pan and cover with vegetable stock
- Bring to the boil and then blitz with a hand blender
Stir in crème fraîche if using (leave out for a vegan soup), a little more seasoning and reheat until hot